Thursday, October 11, 2012

Antique Dictionary Dresser

Out of all of the furniture that I've painted, this next pieces is my absolute favorite!

A beautiful, antique, North Carolina-made dresser!

The dresser was my very first piece of furniture that I painted (besides that Mexican dresser in 9th grade!), and my first time using AS chalk paint. I used Old White, dark wax and clear wax. I learned a few lessons on my first ASCP expedition, which I'll share with you in another post.

 See that wimpy hardware!

I chose new hardware for the dresser because the original hardware was wimpy! The knobs didn't make a statement, and they were very small for the big, deep drawers. {*Getting new hardware can be a very inexpensive way to give a facelift to a piece of furniture!}There was also a small raised circle on the middle drawer, and I decided to add a wood ornament...which I LOVE!

After the dresser was finished, I thought it needed alittle something something done to the insides of the drawers. I put some polka-dot shelf paper in the drawers, but wasn't happy with the result. Then I decided to use the pages of an old dictionary (my dad's from college, I think?) to line the drawers. I brushed the drawers with Mod-Podge to glue the pages down, and then put three coats of Mod-Podge over everything to seal it well. This little surprise adds so much to an already beautiful dresser!

Length: 4 feet
Depth: 23 inches
Height: 35 inches

Price: $369

No comments:

Post a Comment