Saturday, October 6, 2012

Antique Farm House Hutch Makeover

Once upon a time, there was a very sad looking hutch. She was dark, full of holes and hooks and just plain ugly. She was old and needed a new life. This is the only 'before picture' that I have of her. This was after I took out all the hooks (along fronts of shelves) and filled the holes. I felt like German beer steins, or breakable figurines, once covered these shelves. Gross!

I worked and filled and sanded and painted and stained and waxed...for days...but now this old lady has a brand spankin' new life! She looks pretty awesome for her age!

Shabby-chic, French-country, rustic, farmhouse...whatever you want to call it.

A new bead-board back was added. The top surface of the cabinet, as well as the inside of the cabinet, were refinished. I used Annie Sloan's Chateau Gray...but it actually looks more like a light sage green. I lightly distressed the piece and then used both dark and clear wax. I also chose to keep the original hardware.


At first, I felt like the hutch was 'too country', but it has grown on me! It is truly a show stopper-- a solid wood, great antique piece! If your space couldn't handle the whole hutch, you can take the shelf off and the bottom half would make an amazing sideboard, sofa table, or be a great addition to your entryway. 

This was my first attempt at a BIG piece. It was alot of work, but I think it was worth it! 
What do you think?


Measurements: 
Width- 4 feet
Depth- 18 inches
Height- 6 feet

Price: SOLD!

No comments:

Post a Comment