Saturday, October 20, 2012

China Cabinet Makeover

This past week I worked on a china cabinet makeover for a customer. In the words of the customer, the china cabinet looked like "an old man's gun cabinet." I'm not sure what qualifies as an old man's gun cabinet, but the cabinet was just boring and outdated. It needed a makeover!

The first challenge was choosing a paint color. I've started making my own chalk paint, and have had great success! Plus, it's budget friendly and the color possibilities are endless! I can't bring myself to buy ASCP anymore! {I will say, ASCP is super great to work with...if you want one of the limited colors, and you don't mind paying the price!} We were looking for something that was Old White looking, but not as bright and alittle warmer.

{One coat vs. two coats}

The customer wanted AS's Old Ochre, but gave me the freedom to color match if I wanted to. So, I did a 30 second "AS Old Ochre color match" search and found a list of Behr and Sherwin Williams matches for every AS color! I went to Home Depot first, but knew just from the name of the paint (Pecan Sandie 700C-3) that I wasn't going to like it. Pecan Sandie was too pink! So off to Sherwin Williams I went to see what Kilim Beige (SW 6106) looked like. First of all, when Pecan Sandie and Kilim Beige were compared, they were not at all the same color! But, Kilim Beige was perfect! I got a sample quart mixed up ($6.38!!!) and got to work mixing up my own chalk paint!
I used black spray paint to paint everywhere that I knew I'd end up distressing. Then the painting began. Painting was going well until I had been working for days ("banker hours" as my mom said) and hadn't even touched the top shelf piece, which I knew was going to be a BEAST! Shelves are very time consuming--there are so many surfaces...tops, bottoms, inside sides, outside sides, back.
{Some of the distressing...love!}
I did two coats of Kilim Beige, distressing, a coat of finishing paste with dark wax (really working the dark wax) and then two more coats of finishing paste. Then, my arms got a work out with all of the buffing!
I was trying to decide what to do with the inside of the drawers and bottom cabinet. I painted (but didn't use dark wax) the inside of the bottom cabinet, but didn't paint the bottom surface because it was just a cheap piece of wood that I knew wouldn't look the same painted. I'm still working my way through an old Spanish/English dictionary that's about 30 years old, so that's what got Mod Podged down. I love it!
 The top cabinet doors are really cool...I really love the shapes, and the distressing makes it super good...so it's kind of a bummer that they won't be used. BUT, they would make cool frames or even spray the glass with chalkboard paint for a unique shaped chalkboard!
And the finished product....not your Grandpa's gun cabinet! It wasn't the best lighting because it was dark by the time it got moved inside. But, I'll make sure to post a photo once those shelves are accessorized and full of color!

No comments:

Post a Comment